Bogus Frog kits

This is the place for the history of Frog
lancfan

Bogus Frog kits

Unread postby lancfan » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:48 pm

Since the fall of frog kits and their increasing values due to rarity various rogues have from time to time been tempted to try to pass off frogspawn as the genuine article. This will undoubtably continue so it is important to carefully examine any such models you may see on sale for parts substitution. The model below appears to be a gold token edition of the Amy Johnson Gypsy moth but only the box is genuine the kit inside is a Novo model, in this case correctly and honestly sold as such within the Frog box. But were this to have been sold with the original Frog instructions and decals it could be very difficult to claim provenance without a genuine original to compare against as many do not have a new makers inscription inside the parts and it would be left to the buyers knowledge of the colours used for plastic mouldings and the dates that they apply to. Quite a problem. Buyers Beware- always.

David.
Last edited by lancfan on Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it is broken then fix it but if it isn't- LEAVE IT ALONE!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Member of Airfix Tribute & Revell-Ations Forums.

wannsee
Site Admin

Re: Bogus Frog kits

Unread postby wannsee » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 am

I know ! I wrote an article for Scale Models international about the problem a few years ago. I will try and get a pdf here. I was caught recently when I brought a Frog Oxford on Ebay and found a dark brown Soviet offering inside !! The worst example I have heard of was an Airfix Rotodyne in a Frog box and that was big money... As Lancfan say's Buyer Beware
Za naszą i waszą wolność For our freedom and yours

Soulcharger

Unread postby Soulcharger » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:49 am

lancfan wrote:Since the fall of frog kits and their increasing values due to rarity various rogues have from time to time been tempted to try to pass off frogspawn as the genuine article. This will undoubtably continue so it is important to carefully examine any such models you may see on sale for parts substitution. The model below appears to be a gold token edition of the Amy Johnson Gypsy moth but only the box is genuine the kit inside is a Novo model, in this case correctly and honestly sold as such within the Frog box. But were this to have been sold with frog instructions and decals it could be very difficult to claim provenance without a genuine original to compare against as many do not have a new makers inscription inside the parts and it would be left to the buyers knowledge of the colours used for plastic mouldings and the dates that they apply to. Quite a problem. Buyers Beware- always.

David.

Once bought a "Frog" Canberra contained parts from both a Novo and Frog, the Novo in light grey and the Frog in very dark blue !!

wannsee
Site Admin

Unread postby wannsee » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:24 pm

Watch the website for a Novo Bogus kit article !!!
Za naszą i waszą wolność For our freedom and yours

Return to “History”