That other place of course is Haldane Place Wandsworth London SW18. The home of Airfix. This is of course not the place to discuss Airfix but I wanted to showcase some of my collection here. Of course they are a major part of the history of our hobby. They have survived as part of Hornby Hobbies who must be applauded for releasing some of the models from the Golden age of modelling. Sadly no major manufacturer produces Kits in the UK at the time of writing, Airfix is now produced in India. Interestingly The recently released Airfix Swordfish was designed using the original Frog plans !

Frog can claim that it was the first manufacturer to mass produce model kits with its Penguin range dating back to the 1930’s but Airfix released the first injection moulded models starting with the Ferguson Tractor (yes I have one) Then on to the Golden Hind followed by the Spitfire. Airfix brought the hobby to the masses with its deal with FW Woolworths (also gone now from the UK) and by using plastic bags for packing, which was copied by other manufactures including Frog.

The Airfix 1/72 Wellington a favourite of mine....

The Airfix 1/72 Wellington a favourite of mine….

It is a strange coincidence that both Frog & Airfix started less than 4 miles apart, both for a time moved to Calais and Frog finished in Westwood Kent now the UK home of Airfix, which is part of Hornby Hobbies.

Luckily for us models from Frog are still produced to this day by Eastern European companies as well as by Revell. Today the hobby is very healthy and mainly aimed at the more mature modeller who more often than not cut their teeth on Airfix & Frog.

BT-K The first Airfix Aircraft released in 1955

BT-K The first Airfix Aircraft released in 1955 That’s 64 years ago now. Nearly as old as the author. Note the staples are rusty, a good sign the kit has never been opened and is mint.

Another Early Airfix. The Gladiator. Also of course released by Frog

Another Early Airfix. The Gladiator.If you look carefully you will see the early square type stand. Frog also released a Gladiator.

BT-K and Frogs Mk 11 Guess who did not use the Wylam pans !

BT-K and Frogs Mk 11 Guess who did not use the Wylam plans? !

The Original BT-K The Aurora 1/48 scale Release. Airfix scaled this down

The Original BT-K The Aurora 1/48 scale Release. Airfix allegedly scaled this down to 1/72. Aurora used the totally inaccurate Wylam plans.

Awaiting some TLC

Awaiting some TLC. Note the bombs still attached to the original sprue

As found !!! This sad looking model will be fully restored I have 3 of them !

As found !!! This sad looking model will be fully restored I have 3 of them  in my collection plus a mint bagged one.

John D Jones released this fantastic resin version of the BT-K. I have his details if anybody is interested in getting one,if of course he still makes it..

John D Jones released this fantastic resin version of the BT-K some years ago. I have John’s details if anybody is interested in getting one, That is of course if he still produces it..

And of course here is Frog's Spitfire 11

Frog’s Spitfire 11 with fantastic artwork for the time.

Instruction sheet from the Airfix BT-K in authors collection. Note the description of the various parts

A nice series 2 Walrus

A nice series 2 bagged Walrus. Note the Lysander on the illustration.

Aurora & Airfix together

Aurora & Airfix together

photo_2020-01-07 17.16.04 2

Original Airfix BT-K instructions, in the authors collection

Wylam Spitfire plans 1941

These are the very inaccurate plans that Aurora and later Airfix relied on to produce the BT-K Spitfire. They were first drawn on the 30th October 1940 (the last day of the Battle of Britain) and published in the February 1941 issue of Model Airplane News. The plans purport to show a Mark 11, but the round oil cooler is closer to a Mark V The squadron code and serial number RG904 are however entirely fictitious. Frogs latter release is far more accurate in out line to a Mark 11. America had not yet entered the War at time these plans were published and the Spitfire was still classified as Secret.

I would suggest that this model was the first ever 1/72 aircraft produced in injected polystyrene. Examples do appear from time to time on Ebay and the such like but command a very high price. Taking into account all it’s faults the BT-K is a very important model and important part of the history of our hobby. Please Click on the title Wylam Sptifire plans 1941 to view them as a pdf

© Frog Model Aircraft  updated October 2020