Early Days
An example of a Frog MK 1V Interceptor pre Penguin and injection Moulded plastic. This model came complete with a patented winding system for the rubber band motor. This example dates from c 1937 and cost 5/- (.25p in today’s money) The real cost would have been £11.91 at today’s prices. The average salary in 1937 was just over £200.00 pa. Following a complete restoration I hope to fly this model again one day.

A close up of the Winder

A close up of the Winder

The rather 'Tatty' Box top

The rather ‘Tatty’ Box top

Kittyhawk and Zero. It may be that the Kittyhawk was my first Frog Kit.

Frog’s Kittyhawk and Zero. It may be that the Kittyhawk was my first Frog Kit. The ‘art work” is typical of the period

This example of the Magister Catalogue number 153P was first released in 1963. 52 years later it is still being produced. A tribute to the Frog mould makers.

Examples of early types of boxing 1950/60’s

Left to Right F144 Hunter, F145 Gannet, and F146 Spitfire

Left to Right F144 Hunter, F145 Gannet, and F146 Spitfire

Part of the attached book had illustrated instructions. These are from the Fairy Gannet

Part of the attached book had illustrated instructions. These are from the Fairy Gannet

Inside Story
3 examples of Frog inside Story models that came with a book glue and paint. The boxes even contained a paint brush. These were a good introduction to the hobby and also to Aviation in general in the 1960’s.

Note the tubes of paint and glue as well as the rather basic paint brush

Note the tubes of paint and glue as well as the rather basic paint brush

The VC10 F140 complete with Flashing lights

The VC10 F140 complete with Flashing lights

F140 a look in the box. Even the decals still have the protective paper on them. What a wonderful kit.

Frogs iconic VC10 complete with flashing lights. The batteries were mounted in the stand and the light was 2 bulbs (one flashing) that was shone though clear plastic tubes to the wing-tips, tail and 2 fuselage beacons.This was the height of technology in 1964. A non flashing light version was planned for 1965 as F135 in East African livery. This was cancelled and the mould went to Novo.  The good news is a new East African/BOAC VC10 will be issued this year by Roden in Ukraine. Dark rumours are circulating that the author has something to do with this. “He refuses to comment”

F 164 Box

Parts comparison of the Original Frog release in Grey and an unknown former USSR issue. I suspect Donetsk Toy factory but stand to be corrected

Parts comparison of the Original Frog release in Grey and an unknown former USSR issue. I suspect Donetsk Toy factory but stand to be corrected

This is the rather odd box that the former USSR model came in. It appears to be a colour photocopy pasted on a white box

This is the rather odd box that the former USSR model came in. It appears to be a colour photocopy pasted on a white box

Frog-R100

Released in 1965 as F128 the 1/500 scale R100 came complete with a mooring mast based on the one in Montreal. Sir Barnes Wallis the designer of the R100 as well as the Wellington bomber and probably best remembered for the “Bouncing bomb” used by the Dambusters was consulted by Frog during the design and production of the moulds for this model. He obviously approved! The moulds have survived and were last released by Maquette. *Update* I now own the original pencil drawings and mould drawings for this model. I hope to be able to share them on this site soon 17.02.15

IMG_3125

First issued in 1958 the DH Beaver was in the odd scale of 1/82. The photo is of an un-restored example in my collection.I intend to keep it as is. The catalogue number was 384P. The mould is currently listed as missing most likely scrapped in Calais, following its release by Triang. Sadly i suspect the Rotodyne went the same way.

First released in 1962 this is Frog's Trinity House Lightship

First released in 1962 this is Frog’s F345 Trinity House Lightship ‘South Goodwin’ The mould has survived and is still produced today. Plenty of scope exists to super detail this model with a working light and other details.

A look inside the box

A look inside the box

And this is what we needed to construct our models. This is an early tube of cement as evidenced by the Frog Logo

And this is what we needed to construct our models. This is an early tube of cement as evidenced by the early Frog Logo

Note the company name is still International Model Aircraft Ltd.

Note the company name is still International Model Aircraft Ltd.

IMG_1699

DH 110
An example of a DH 110 (Sea Vixen Prototype) in my collection. Most of the paint has been removed and it is awaiting restoration. First issued as 325 P in 1955 and later as F325 this example is an early issue